Saturday, May 03, 2008

We have our first poker ride under our belts! It was okay. Not very scenic, mostly logging roads through clearcut, but some trees too. It was a good experience for us and the horses though. Tonka did really well. He spooked at a few things. Was really worried about sticks and bits of cedar bark on the ground at first, but had to get over that quickly. After all, a logging area has a lot of that stuff. And part of the ride was through a very messy mountainside, slash everywhere, and he just had to plow on through. He did great. At one point I thought we were going to wreck though. He had his head up, looking off to the side to see a horse that was calling in the distance. Next thing I know the ground is rushing to meet my face. Tonka had tripped, belly to the ground, and hit his nose on the ground, then righted himself at the last moment. He also had a few minor spooks, nothing serious at all. The worst part of the ride was his fidgeting whenever we stopped. He started tossing his head so I made him work. Backed him up a long ways, yielded his hindquarters in a tight circle both directions, stopped, repeated as necessary. He figured out that it was easier to stand somewhat quietly.

John and Mack had fun too. Mack spooked at a couple things, and was convinced one rock was going to eat him, but mostly it was a good ride. I haven't asked John yet whether this changes his mind about keeping Mack. I know he had more fun than I did, so maybe?

I didn't get many pictures, and the ones I did get aren't all that great. But I did get some.

All-in-all it was a good experience for all of us, and good to be getting some miles on this young greenie. And the old greenie. I don't think Mack has near as much experience out in the world as we had thought. Which doesn't make him bad, actually makes him better, since he did so well.

Oh, and as you can see in the pictures, the weather was great! Just right for t-shirts. It was supposed to be cloudy with a possibility of rain. But it was beautiful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmm...clearcuts.