Saturday, May 07, 2011

Well, our first trail ride of the year was a great success! Now I remember why I put all this work into the horses.

This was the only picture I took. That dog was so funny, he was having a grand time. He's a very handsome and very athletic chocolate lab.

I was actually quite nervous to get on my horse. He's thrown a couple bucking fits in the last few days. It wasn't a naughty thing, he was panicked and obviously completely not okay with his saddle. So I took off the new saddle and tried his old saddle, the one that left white marks behind his withers but that he always seemed to like. Once I put that on he walked off with the fearful look, expecting pain, and after a few strides realized he was okay and he relaxed and started licking and chewing. I rode him for a few minutes and he was fine. I don't know what the problem is, the new saddle appears fine to me but it obviously isn't.

Seeing him come unglued like that didn't do a lot for my confidence in him, but he was really a very good boy on our ride. He was a little nervous at first, but he knew that trail and he did fine. We rode for about an hour and I didn't notice any muscle problems until near the end when he stumbled some and kind of had his hind end drop out on a few strides. He didn't want to be done though, he tried to turn and start up the start of the trail again when we got back to the trail head. I love it when they like their work. He seems fine this morning. So I'll have to start riding more and building his stamina.

Cisco was great too. Makes me almost regret deciding to sell him. He doesn't like to lead and a few times he refused, but at other times he'd jog ahead and lead for a little ways. I think they'll be able to work him through that. He also did a little spook at a burnt horse-eating stump, but that's the worst he did. He really is a good horse. They sent me an email last night saying they'd call today and they thought they'd take him. They just didn't want to haul him home last night with a horse he doesn't know.

I'm waiting for a call from the lady who's coming to see Scout. I'm still not sure when she's going to come. But she did call to check in, which is good.

I'm off to get to work. Hope you're all having a great weekend.

2 comments:

Linda said...

The only thing I really enjoy anymore is trail riding. Glad you had fun, and I sure hope it means Tonka is on the mend.

Lea and her Mustangs said...

Andrea - glad you had a good day. I have been really really sick and today am up for the first time. No one could go ride but Mary and she and her daughter went down to ride today. She said it was beautiful. Maybe another weekend before the snakes come out. I was so dissappointed but the crud got me.